On Saturday we had our classification party, an attempt to sort the collection into a handful of very broad categories. We're re-shelving everything this afternoon so, from tomorrow, it should be ever so slightly easier to find the kind of zines you're interested in. The categories are (Currently - we're open to changing the system!):
- Perzines (Autobiographical zines)
- Arts and crafts, which includes illustration, comics, photography, film, graphic design, fine art - all visual arts, basically
- Activism, which includes LGBT, gender, politics, that kind of thing
- Food and the environment, which includes cooking, veganism, vegetarianism, gardening, eco stuff, fair trade, animals and travel as well
- Creative writing, which includes poetry and short stories
- Sports - all the football and rugby league zines we have
- Other - as you would expect, most of the zines in the collection don't fit into these categories so the 'other' section is understandably large
These categories aren't perfect or very precise, but we think they'll be a useful guide when browsing the shelves. Obviously we'd encourage you to look at absolutely everything, but we understand if you don't have a spare few days to read every zine in the collection!
Thanks to all the people who came to help us sort the zines into categories. Thanks to Stef Bradley for making the posters and to Cherry Styles for taking some lovely photos of everyone hard at work. Enjoy!